How To Apply
How to Apply
The CMU MCDS degree program shares admissions with other CMU professional Master's programs. The on-line application website is available September 15th - December 15th at this MCDS application link. All applicants must use the on-line application website. Additional off-line material (such as transcripts) are sent to the appropriate address below. PLEASE NOTE THAT MCDS ADMISSIONS SITE CLOSES ONE MONTH EARLIER THIS YEAR!
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Application System goes Live 9/15/14
- Early Deadline: Wednesday (Noon Eastern) 12/3/14 (Transcripts due, discounted fee)
- Final Deadline: Monday (Noon Eastern) 12/15/14 (All documents, test scores, letters of recommendation are due)
Applications and all supporting documents, including letters of recommendation, for the MCDS program in the School of Computer Science must be received by the final deadline, noon (12:00pm) EST December 15. You may submit your application by noon (12:00pm) EST December 3 to avoid higher application fees.
If you submit your application by noon (12:00pm) EST December 3, the non-refundable application fee is $75 for one program and $50 for each additional program. Between 12:01pm EST on December 3 and noon (12:00pm) EST on December 15 the application fee increases to $125 for one program and $75 for each additional program.
Transcripts are due December 3. Test scores reports and letters of recommendation are due December 15. The early deadline does not imply an early decision.
You may pay the fee by credit card. The credit card payment system is part of the online application, and instructions are given when you submit your application.
If you do not want to pay by credit card with the online application, you may pay by a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to Carnegie Mellon University. DO NOT SEND CASH. We expect all applicants to pay the application fee.
Read the following instructions carefully and make certain that you have met all requirements before you submit your application. All this material is submitted via the on-line application website.
The MCDS program does not accept Spring admissions or transfers outside of the normal admissions process. Students who are currently enrolled in other programs at CMU who wish to transfer into MCDS can only do so by applying to the program during the usual admissions cycle.
- Prepare a Statement of Purpose. Type or print neatly a concise one- or two-page statement in this format:
- Part I: Briefly state your objective in pursuing a professional graduate degree in MCDS. Tell us if you have a particular reason for applying to this degree.
- Part II: Describe your background in fields particularly relevant to your objective. List here any relevant academic, industrial or commercial experience.
- Part III: Include any additional information you wish to supply to the Admissions Committee.
- Submit transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, even if no degree was granted. Transcripts should be in an official sealed envelope. The transcript may be mailed with your application or sent directly from the institution to the admissions coordinator address below.
- Upload your current resume, including a summary of research & industrial experience and a list of publications (if any). Include copies of any publications (in English only) that you may have.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if required. GRE: Institution Code, 2074; Department Code, 0402
- A foreign language test - Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - if required. If you are not a native speaker of English, you must submit a TOEFL score (even if you have studied at a previous university where English is the language of instruction). TOEFL: Institution Code, 4256; Department Code, 78
- Upload three letters of recommendation. The admissions committee prefers, but does not require, letters from both academia and industry. People who recommend you should know you relatively well and should be able to discuss the quality of your work. Three recommendation forms are provided in the application form. You may photocopy these forms if necessary.
- Submit the application. Send any off-line material to:
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3891 USA
Please make certain that all items listed above and any other materials not included with your application reach the Admissions Committee by the deadline.