How To Apply
The School of Computer Science has a centralized online application process for graduate admissions. Applications for the MCDS program will open on August 20, 2019. All supporting documentation for fall admission must be received by noon (EST) on Thursday, December 12th. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To apply, go to the SCS online application.
In order to compare MCDS to other professional masters programs at CMU please refer here:
Early Deadline: 12/2/19 by noon (12pm EST)
Applications are due by noon (12 p.m.) on Thursday, December 12th.
- By noon (12 p.m. EST) Friday, December 2nd: $75 for one program, $50 each additional program.
- From 12:01 p.m. (EST) Dec. 2 to noon (12 p.m.) Thursday, Dec. 12: $125 for one program, $75 for each additional program.
The School of Computer Science requires the following for all applications:
- Students should report raw university GPA scores and NOT converted scores. Please DO NOT convert your international score to a US GPA or weighted GPA or other system.
- GRE scores: All applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test and have scores. No application will be considered complete until we have received theses scores. GRE scores will NOT be accepted if they are more than five years old. Our Institution Code is 2074; Department Code is 0402. (This requirement is waived for CMU undergrads.)
- TOEFL scores: If your native language is not English, then you must submit the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). All students will need to submit a TOEFL, no exceptions.
If you are currently working on or have received a bachelor's and/or a master's degree in the U.S. and your native language is not English, the TOEFL is still required. However, you may submit an expired test score up to 5 years old. If you have not completed a Bachelor’s degree in the US, you will need to submit a TOEFL no older than 2 years. We will NOT accept an expired score in this case, no exceptions.
A successful applicant will normally have a total iBT score of at least 100. We prefer that you take the TOEFL, but we will accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The same restrictions of expiration dates apply with an IELTS.
(While the TOEFL is preferred, the IELTS test may also be submitted.) Successful applicants will have a minimum TOEFL score of 100. Our Institution Code is 4256; the Department Code is 78.
- Test Scores: All test scores must be uploaded (as PDF) to your application. If they are NOT uploaded by December 10, you will not have access to upload them and your application may not be considered for review.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there. We do NOT require mailed, hard versions of transcripts at the time of application. Do not mail your transscripts to the admission office. If you are accepted to the program, you will be given instructions to then mail them. All electronic transcripts should be uploaded by the time you submit your application. If they are not uploaded by December 12, you will not have access to upload them and your application may not be considered. **NOTE** Electronic transcripts and test scores are not marked as received until you submit and pay the application fee. It may take several days or weeks to check the uploaded material, so please allow time.
- Resume, please submit your current resume, outline your education, research experience, work experience, publication, scholarships, prizes and honors received, society memberships.
- Statement of Purpose, prepare a consise one or two page essay that describes your primary areas of interest in research, your related experiences, and your objective in pursuing a graduate degree at Carnegie Mellon
- Three letters of recommendation, recommenders should know you relatively well and be able to evaluate the quality of your previous work. At least two should be from faculty or recent employers. With the on-line application, letters will be requested and submitted electronically. Paper recommendations will NOT be accepted. Letters of recommendation are due by December 12. All deadlines are FINAL. Letters received after this date may not be considered in the review of your application.
It is your responsibility to make certain that your application, supporting documents, and letters of recommendation are uploaded to your application by the final deadline. You may check your submitted application to make certain that it is complete.
For more details regarding application, please see the SCS Master's Admissions page. No incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.