How To Apply
The School of Computer Science has a centralized online application process for graduate admissions. Applications for the MCDS program will open on August 17, 2020. All supporting documentation for fall admission must be received by noon (EST) on Thursday, December 10. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To apply, go to the SCS online application.
In order to compare MCDS to other professional masters programs at CMU please refer here:
Early Deadline: November 19, 2020 by 11:59 a.m. EST
Final Deadline: December 10, 2020 by 11:59 a.m. EST
- By 11:59 a.m. EST Thursday, Nov. 19: $75 for one program, $50 each additional program.
- From 12:00 p.m. EST Nov. 19 to 11:59 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 10: $125 for one program, $75 for each additional program.
The School of Computer Science requires the following for all applications:
- Students should report raw university GPA scores and NOT converted scores. Please DO NOT convert your international score to a US GPA or weighted GPA or other system.
- GRE scores are highly recommended. If you cannot provide them, please briefly explain in your application. GRE scores are waived for applicants who have graduated from, or are enrolled at, Carnegie Mellon. GRE scores will NOT be accepted if they are more than five years old. Our Institution Code is 2074; Department Code is 0402.
- TOEFL scores/demonstration of English proficiency: If you are an international applicant and your native language (language spoken from birth) is not English, an official copy of an English proficiency score report is required. The English proficiency requirement cannot be waived for any reason.
- We strongly encourage applicants to take either the TOEFL or IELTS. In cases where these are not available it is acceptable to take the Duolingo English Test (DET), an online, accessible alternative to other standardized proficiency tests of English listening, reading, writing, and speaking competencies. Subscores and overall score are offered. The scores are highly correlated to those of the TOEFL and IELTS, and results are available within 48 hours. We discourage the use of the "TOEFL IPT Plus for China", since speaking is not scored. Additional details are provided on the Frequently Asked Questions page, and on the Duolingo website.
- Please send scores via ETS using our SCS/CMU codes:
- TOEFL Institution Code: 4256
- TOEFL Department Code: 78
- If you are currently working on or have received a bachelor's and/or a master's degree in the U.S. and your native language is not English you may submit an expired test score up to five years old (TOEFL scores taken before August 20, 2015 will not be accepted.)
- If you have not received a bachelor’s degree in the U.S., you will need to submit a TOEFL no older than two years (TOEFL scores taken before August 20, 2018 will not be accepted).
- A successful applicant will normally have a total iBT score of at least 100.
- Test Scores: All test scores must be uploaded (as PDF) to your application. If they are NOT uploaded by December 10, you will not have access to upload them and your application may not be considered for review.
- Official transcripts from each university you have attended, regardless of whether you received your degree there. We do NOT require mailed, hard versions of transcripts at the time of application. Do not mail your transscripts to the admission office. If you are accepted to the program, you will be given instructions to then mail them. All electronic transcripts should be uploaded by the time you submit your application. If they are not uploaded by December 12, you will not have access to upload them and your application may not be considered. **NOTE** Electronic transcripts and test scores are not marked as received until you submit and pay the application fee. It may take several days or weeks to check the uploaded material, so please allow time.
- Resume, please submit your current resume, outline your education, research experience, work experience, publication, scholarships, prizes and honors received, society memberships.
- Statement of Purpose, prepare a consise one or two page essay that describes your primary areas of interest in research, your related experiences, and your objective in pursuing a graduate degree at Carnegie Mellon
- Three letters of recommendation, recommenders should know you relatively well and be able to evaluate the quality of your previous work. At least two should be from faculty or recent employers. With the on-line application, letters will be requested and submitted electronically. Paper recommendations will NOT be accepted. Letters of recommendation are due by December 12. All deadlines are FINAL. Letters received after this date may not be considered in the review of your application.
It is your responsibility to make certain that your application, supporting documents, and letters of recommendation are uploaded to your application by the final deadline. You may check your submitted application to make certain that it is complete.
For more details regarding application, please see the SCS Master's Admissions page. No incomplete applications will be eligible for consideration.